Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What really is "GREEN" Packaging?

That is a question that has plauged me for around ten years now. What really is considered "Green" Packaging?

Is it something that is easy to recycle? And if it's easy to recylce how much of it is easy to recycle? How do you separate the recycleable parts? Is it paper or plastic, or both? Believe you me, I have heard different explanations and different interpertations and it's mind boggling to say the least.

For me since I specialize in providing a plastic package I have been toying with the idea of a plastic tray that is encapsulated by paperboard. What does that mean? It means the tray holds the disc. The tray is inserted into a paperboard carried and the paperboard "case" is closed.

Been working on a few ideas where the plastic content is reduced by as much as 50%. So versus a standard CD jewel case for example which weighs in at a hefty 60 grams without the disc; my enviroPAK weighs in at 24 grams without the disc and 39 grams with the disc. The only difference is that it is a combination of paperboard and plastic.

Wondering now if this is a viable product that folks will embrace. Photos coming soon!

No comments: